I have to confess that I use to have an addiction to personal development books. I couldn’t help it, I was constantly reading three or four at a time.
- I had several on my night stand.
- My bookshelf was stuffed to the max.
- I even had a closet full of banker boxes full of them!
And don’t even get me started on my Kindle library!
This past year I’ve gotten better.
- I spent more time at the gym and less time in my comfy reading corner.
- I spent more time preparing healthy foods and less time reading recipes.
- I’m applying what I’m learning. Sometimes without even trying!
But I’ll never give up reading!
Reading expands your perspective, introduces you to new ideas and is the friend beside you as you discover new things about yourself. And some haunt you for years!
Many of the books I’ve read have earned a permanent place on my bookshelf, and one such book is, “The Four Agreements – a practical guide to personal freedom, by Don Miguel Ruiz”.
This book was published in 1997 and it didn’t take long to read as it’s only 160 pages long but did it have an impact! The message is timeless.
The Four Agreements, in case you are not familiar with the book, is centered around the following four “agreements” you make with yourself:
- Be impeccable with your word
- Don’t take anything personally
- Don’t make assumptions
- Always do your best
I’m convinced that just reading this one book and applying it to your everyday life would transform your world.
This book has haunted me for years! Sometimes I hear the words from this book running through my mind, like when I’m running late for an appointment.
Have you read a book like that? One that continues to “haunt” you long after you’ve put it down. One that’s gotten under your skin and calls your best self forward?
I would love to hear your thoughts.